Monday 1 August 2011

Second Imperial Dwarf ready to play a tune

Though I have a lot of writing to do for my coming self-employment I pinched off some time to finish the second dwarf of my projected "Armed Lansquenet Elite Dwarfs".

The second stout one to be presented is the musician with his steel lyra-carillon.
The inspiration for that came to me when I pondered which instrument to give him and remembered the marching bands we have here in Germany when the annual tradition of "Shooting Match Fair" called "Schützenfest" is celebrated in the villages.
The typical marching band in our region sports several snare drums, several flutes, cymbals, a kettle drum and - a lyra-carillon! One of those it had to be.
As my Lansquenet Dwarf Elite is clad in a lot of metal compared to other dwarves in "Landsknecht" style I thought it much more appropriate to give their musician an instrument mostly consisting of metal. A horn would be to normal, a flute to unremarkable, whereas a lyra-carillon is not often seen and spectacular enough for the elite of the dwarfs! So there!














Whenever I find the time I will next be working on the champion for this unit. He is going to be the first to sport the weapon that will be typical for my Lansquenet Elite - the mighty "Zweihänder", a two-handed sword which was the hallmark weapon of the "Landsknechte" of Maximillian German Renaissance.

Untill then have a nice time,

Gregor

No comments:

Post a Comment